Dear Lucie (who we’ve been calling Louie lately),
I realize you will never really know what a mix tape is, nor will you get one from a high school crush or a college suitor. You will instead probably be tagged to a Pandora station or something equally easy to throw together. But can I just tell you how long it took to queue up a song on one tape and then record it perfectly onto another using a dual cassette player? If that isn’t a labor of love, then I don’t know what is.
So here is my mix tape for you, based on our first two years together with the HUGE CAVEAT that I don’t really listen much to lyrics like your other mama, so there is a good chance I’ll put something mildly inappropriate here. Apologies, but you get the gist.
- “It Takes Two” by Marvin Gaye– referring to the number of mamas it takes to pin you down during tooth brushing or nail clipping.
- “Bad” by Michael Jackson
- “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce— a.k.a. “Run Our World (just Louie singlehandedly)”
- “Don’t Cry” by Guns n’ Roses
- “Bull in a China Shop” by Barenaked Ladies
- “Splish Splash” by Bobby Darin
- “Hot Mess” by Cobra Starship
- “Up All Night” by Slaughter
- “Big Girls Cry” by Sia
- “Shout” by Tears for Fears
- “Breakdown” by Tom Petty
- “Bad Girls” by M.I.A.
- “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder
- “These Are the Days” by Van Morrison
- “My Life Would Suck Without You” by Kelly Clarkson
- “Blessed” by Elton John
- “I Hope You Dance” by LeeAnn Womack
- “Gracie” by Ben Folds
- “Growing Up” by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
- “Kooks” by David Bowie
- “Sing For You” by Tracy Chapman
- “Baby Mine” by Various (favorite version is Bette Midler’s)
- “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong
- “In My Life” by The Beatles
- “Goodnight My Angel” by Billy Joel